The Stress Switch


Stress is something that everyone deals with. If you are not stressing out at the moment, good for you! Please go and enjoy this moment, because chances are it won't be long before something comes up.

First, I want to tell you that you are not alone. Life is overwhelming, and I have yet to meet someone who cruises through life without feeling overwhelmed at one point or another. Look around you. Everyone is dealing with something. 

With that said, I can hurt with you, understand what you're going through, and be there for you simply because I've been there too. It doesn't matter if I haven't gone through what you're going through, because I've dealt with my own struggles. You can do the same as well. You don't have to have everything in common with someone to be a listener, hugger, friend. 

The best part about stress is that it's a switch. My friend, it can be turned on, but it can also be turned off. Stress is a choice. Carrying that burden of worry is a choice. Yes, it's one that is often made unconsciously, but it is not something you have to accept or carry. 

About a year ago, I was carrying it all. I held on until it nearly crushed me. I remember lying in my bed, trying to relax, trying to find peace, trying to not think about ANYTHING. As I lay there, the weight of my life slowly pressed down on me. I began to cry. "I can't do this. I'll lose my sanity if this continues. I'm not strong enough." If there has ever been a time when I was at the end of my rope, it was then. If there has ever been a time when I was completely broken, it was then. I could not say to you that stress is not a big deal and shouldn't even be a problem. It's not true. I could not say that you ought to have your life together, and if you did, you wouldn't worry. It's not true. But I will say that stress and worry are not burdens we are meant to carry. 

In fact, I even wonder how much we are meant to carry on our own? "Do not worry," Jesus said. After some tearful prayers, I felt God calling me to let go of everything that was most important to me, everything that I valued. One by one, I tried to lift them up in surrender. And that's where I found the little problem. I couldn't bring myself to let go of my future, my grades, my calling, my family, my purpose. I thought I was strong enough. I thought I could excel in everything on my own. God did not have control of every area of my life. I crashed. 

I don't know what your stress is caused by. I don't know what you are going through, but I GUARANTEE that you do not have to be suffering in this way.  You do not have to be crushed. You can choose be led to quiet waters; You can choose to give your burden to the only one who can carry it. There is a switch; it can be turned off. You might not be able to reach it, but God can. 

-Kae-


Comments

Popular Posts