10 Things West Africa Taught Me [Part Two]


#6 A hard life is an appreciated life and happy; an easy life is a life taken for granted.

There is satisfaction and joy in hard manual labor. There is contentment in flopping onto your bed at night, muscles aching, body exhausted, knowing that you have accomplished something. Throughout history inventors and scientists have tried to find ways to make our lives easier, to take the work out of them, but I wonder if they are really making them better. If you haven't tasted something bitter, how will you appreciate something sweet? If you haven't done something that you didn't enjoy, how will you be able to enjoy something you do? If you haven't worked, haven't sweated, how will you be grateful for evening and a hot shower?

All around me I see people working hard, working in order to live. And I feel like I'm missing out somehow. That's what drove me to work out more, I wanted to DO something. I was tired of having my life handed to me on a plate. Because life is a gift, and all of the little privileges that come with it: hot water, carpet, a large variety of food selections, kitchen appliances, electricity, running water, pre-made food. Living in Africa taught me to view these things not as necessities, but luxuries. Working, living on the bare necessities, doing without, gives me the perspective I need to really see these gifts and be thankful for them.

#7 Personal Space is overrated

The lack of personal space here didn't ever really bother me that much. In fact, it always made me feel more included. No one was afraid to touch me, sit next to me, or even lean across me. I guess I was a tiny bit uncomfortable at first, but it didn't take long before I was grateful for the fact that no one was too scared of "invading my privacy". I think I'm often TOO scared. I'm so scared that I worry myself out of even saying hi to someone, complimenting them, or hugging them. "Maybe they just want space," I think. Maybe, but what if they need some pink in their life? What if? It's time to be brave and loud. It's time to break the space bubbles and reach out to people.

#8 Community

Speaking of people! I've always loved being with people, and honestly the idea of people being a huge part of your life kinda sounds awesome. I love the idea of community. People knowing every inch of your life and being there to just be there for you. To have the relationships that always know the second something is wrong and jumps to help in some way. I wish my life wasn't so isolated. I wish I didn't have to go so far out of my daily routine just to share something with someone. I love that in Africa everyone is in everyone else's house, everyone is eating everyone else's food, and everyone knows everyone else. Lovely people popping in randomly just to do life with you for an hour,  help you clean, cook you food, eat your food, or just laugh. I think back to the community of believers in Acts, and I firmly stick my finger on that passage and say, "One of these, please, God!"

#9 The Definition of Home

"Home is where the heart is." Awww, what a cute phrase. But what really is home? That's not a question you have to ask yourself until you move, especially around the world. Is it a house? Is it family? Is it friends? Can you only have one? I have multiple homes, and I expect to have more as the years go by. Because home is where my people are, and my people are spread out over several cities and continents. Our choir sings: "You have left your home, and come to your home. Our church is your church, our choir is your choir, our pastor is your pastor." That warms my heart. Home is relationships. That's why heaven is our ultimate home because Jesus is our ultimate relationship.

#10 I am blessed

In so many ways that it isn't even fair. Why do I have the opportunity to an amazing education? Not everyone has that. I always thought of myself as averagely privileged. I knew, of course, that there were people who didn't have as much, but for some reason that doesn't register until you've seen it, until someone has asked you to pray for their family because they don't have ANY food in the house. Like. Whoa. Experiences like those have definitely molded, poked, squished, and sculpted me. That has really encouraged me to use what I have wisely, to not be extravagant. If I have extra money in the end, I am sure there are people who need it more than I.

-Kae-

Comments

Popular Posts