Minimalist Packing Experiment

Anytime I have to pack a suitcase, I take advantage of the only time in life that the capsule wardrobe is non-negotiable. It's easy to talk about down-sizing and creating a more simplistic wardrobe, but it's hard to really put your faith in something you can't see, something you have no proof will actually work.

Sometimes, the plans I make are in reality impossible. Often, actually, they are impossible. So, I've spent many moments wondering if a capsule wardrobe of 100 pieces could ever be a reality, or if it will only be another on my list of failures.

Nearly a month ago, I began packing for our common two-day journey of jolts, arguably convenient convenience stores, and beautiful sights. This was my chance to test the theory of capsule wardrobes and minimalist fashion. The trip was two-weeks long, so I decided to pack ten outfit pieces. Besides the outfit pieces, I had pajamas, accessories, workout clothes, swimsuit, etc., but the goal was to create at least fourteen different outfits from the ten pieces that I brought.

The jump from ten to fourteen is not all that great, but to put it into perspective, remember that one outfit needs two pieces. Ten can only easily make five outfits, not fourteen. This is indeed a challenge.

If you are wondering why minimalism, why do this challenge, why not just skip a couple shopping sprees, why is this a big deal? I'll tell you. It's not a big deal, if by big deal, we mean eternal-life-big-deal, but I find that this is the best way for me to act out my faith in regards to earthly things and voting with my dollars. I am called to be generous, to put my faith in Christ and not materialism, to stand up for the poor and the oppressed. I empty my closet so that I can fill the stomachs of those in need. I loose clothes so that I can gain Christ. I waste not, so that I'll want not, so that I'll support not the companies that exploit human beings everywhere.

Obviously, I'm taking some literary license here to make a point. I have by no means succeeded in any of these areas. I'm simply trying. Know that I don't judge you either if you don't feel lead down this path. There are much more important things in the world to use our energy on than condemning people for how many times they've worn the shirt they bought last year. If my post challenges your thinking and encourages you, then I'm so glad! If you don't sign up to my craziness, that's still fantastic. I know God is doing great things through you.

Without further ado, I present a handful of my outfits. The full fourteen are found on my instagram profile.









No new clothes were bought for the purpose of this challenge. Each piece was either old, or handmade/upcycled. I have to say that overall the challenge was beyond successful. I easily came up with fourteen outfits, and found that I could still create more! However, I am enjoying my more varied wardrobe now that I'm home again. ;) All in all, this test has boosted my enthusiasm, and I am more confident in my #capsulewardrobe100 scheme!

Until next time!

-kae-

#shopyourcloset #nonewclothes #ethicalfashionrepresentationmatters 




Comments

Popular Posts